Tuesday 25 November 2014

Why I Love Travelling So Much

Melbourne, Australia | February 2002

Ever since I was a very young girl, my parents have raised me to love travelling. Now, by no means was this adoration forced. My parents enjoy travelling lots - my Dad has lived in England, Scotland, Canada, Singapore and India, and my Mum's native Australian-ness has meant she's travelled to a fair share of places too. I still remember the day we flew Australia-bound from London Heathrow in 2002. I was four years old, and we were returning to my favourite place in the world. Since then I've been fortunate enough to tick off a number of more countries off my to-visit list, and this list of mine is somewhat ever-growing.

Buenos Aires, Argentina | December 2012

Travelling has an impact on me that I don't feel when I'm not planning my latest trip or reminiscing on my last one. The word 'wanderlust', expressing a great desire to travel, sums my thoughts up in one word. However, to me, travelling is so many wonderful things rolled together in an eclectic and cultural mix. Here's why I love travelling so much...

Freedom
Wherever I have visited, regardless of location, I have felt a sense of freedom. Now this varies from place to place, as you would imagine, however there's definitely something about being in an unknown place that makes you feel free. It can be confusing at times, overwhelming to say the slightest - but never in a negative way. 

Koh Samui, Thailand | August 2014

Exploring Foreign Cultures
For me this is the most fun of them all. Nothing irritates me more than hearing about people travelling and then not dipping their toes into the foreign culture, which they can do perhaps by eating traditional cuisine or speaking to a local. One of my favourite quotes is "the fool wanders, a wise man travels" as said by Thomas Fuller and I couldn't agree with it more. Sure, spend a considerable amount of time relaxing if you get the chance to go abroad - but pretty please, dedicate a few hours to explore the behind-the-scenes of the place. It deserves it, after all, and it'll probably enrich your mind in ways you won't even believe.

Bordeaux, France | June 2010

Global Languages
I'm a firm believer that foreign languages are the key to the wider world. And yet, I only speak one language. Hmm. When attending international school I always felt like a bit of a loser because compared to many, I was challenged when it came to foreign languages (translation: the cool kids were bi/tri-lingual, and well..I wasn't). I love being abroad and overhearing someone chat to their friend or speak on the phone having absolutely no clue what they're talking about. Was it what they ate for lunch yesterday? Was it their latest (horrific) pun that nobody found funny? I'll probably never know. And it's not knowing that makes it so intriguing.

Chiang Mai, Thailand | August 2014

Airports. Need I say more?
I'm one hundred percent one of those weird souls who has a strange adoration for airports. Knowing that entering one usually means I'm within a few hours of seeing somewhere different and somewhere new excites me beyond belief. It's reached a stage when I actually rate them - my personal favourite's Singapore Changi (indoor palm trees are a big yes from me) whereas I wasn't such a fan of Bangkok's Don Mueang. Think I'm weird? Part of me doesn't even care. Air travel is my absolute favourite, and I wouldn't have it any other way. 

Vatican City | July 2013

"The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page" - St.Augustine

The Memories
I have uncountable good (and bad) memories from travelling abroad, from my mum being attacked by monkeys in Gibraltar to waiting two hours in Rio's summer heat to visit Sugarloaf mountain...only for it to be so cloudy that the view was nonexistent. You begin to associate memories with a place that stay with you once you've left. Photographs capture the moment, but your memories are what make them complete. You'll miss them and reminisce, and ultimately never regret exploring that new place. Or eating those foods. And on that note, I begin to think about the beautiful beef empanadas I had when in San Antonio de Areco, Argentina. For any South Americans out there who may (although probably won't) be reading this, I am so jealous of you. 

Montevideo, Uruguay | December 2012

Travelling makes you jealous of what others have and grateful for what you do have. It works to complete your understanding of the wider world in incredible ways. So next time you're feeling outrageous, close your eyes and dot your finger on a map and add it to your to-visit list, provided it isn't in the centre of an ocean, obviously. Although that would lead to incredible photographs, I imagine...

"Don't tell me how educated you are. Tell me how much you have travelled" - The Prophet Mohammed

Thalia
xxx
SHARE:

No comments

Post a Comment

Let me know your thoughts! If you have a blog, leave the link too so I can check it out.

- Thalia

© Tales of Thalia | All rights reserved.
Blogger Template Created by pipdig